Amie's Reviews > Nerilka's Story

Nerilka's Story by Anne McCaffrey

Sep 02, 11

bookshelves: dad, fantasy
Read from August 29 to 31, 2011

I always enjoy spending a wee bit of time in Pern. This book was no exception in that regard.

However, this novella was disappointing to me. Not that Ms McCaffrey really does much for providing well-rounded female roles (contrary to what I would expect), but I still did not expect this to be so soppy and predictable. I had enjoyed the Moreta story, and was intrigued by this side-story spun out of a chance encounter in that novel... but it ended up being disappointing more than enlightening.

While we do get to see another side of the 'famous' story of Moreta's ride to save Pern, we don't really get much more insight into the other characters at all. Even the main character, Nerilka, is more a cardboard cut-out than a character, with her 'independence' at leaving the Hold where she's underappreciated constantly undermined by the heavy-handed foreshadowing of the anaemic love story. Not one thing was surprising, and not one thing stands out after having finished this two days ago.

But I like the world of Pern, and that makes it worth two stars-- though I'd have given it one and a half if I could.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nerilka's Story.