Jonathan Williamson's Reviews > The God Delusion

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

Feb 29, 08

bookshelves: non-fiction
Recommended to Jonathan by: reason
Recommended for: people of faith with a very good sense of humor

As an atheist, I really enjoyed this book. However, I have a serious gripe about this book. Dawkins claims that the intent of his book is to present an argument against the existence of God in order to persuade people of faith that atheism is the only reasonable position. While his claimed intent is awesome, I can't imagine anyone religious actually reading further than a chapter or two into this book. Dawkins openly mocks and condescends religious faith throughout the book, and that seems to be a bit counterproductive to his stated goals, even if it is hilarious.

The book is great for those already convinced there is no god. I added more than a few arguments to my repertoire from reading this book, as it contains quite a bit of science. I definitely enjoyed it, but I'd enjoy it much more if I thought for a second that it would sway even one person of faith over to atheism. I dare anybody who believes in god to read this book. In fact, I'll pay you 5 bucks to read it. You can borrow mine so you don't support a dirty, hell-bound heathen like Dawkins.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The God Delusion.