Patricia Holland's Reviews > Meet Addy: An American Girl

Meet Addy by Connie Rose Porter

5019788
Mar 15, 2011

Response: This book was a very quick read (about half an hour) and I thought that is was great. It is a simple book for younger readers, but it I felt like it completely encompassed the brutality of being a slave and the fear of running to freedom. This book also taught great morals about loving the people who seem to hate you. Her mother told her that she never wanted Addy’s heart to be full of hate because that is how you end up being mean like their owner. There are several books in this series that I am sure will solve many questions, like where are her brother and father, where will they live, and when will they get her sister back?

Teaching Implication: This book series would be great to get children to understand how it was like for slaves during the civil war. It is important to tie facts to feelings. This book can help them understand on an emotional level what it was like. This would be great extra reading for the girls in the class. With research I am sure that there are great books similar to these for boys.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Meet Addy.