Sriram's Reviews > The Code of the Woosters

The Code of the Woosters by P.G. Wodehouse

M 50x66
Jul 30, 08

Read in January, 1995

I'm always shocked to find that hardly anyone in these United States has ever heard of or read the works of Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse.... most indians who read english stumble upon his works sooner or later-more so, I dare say, than the english themselves.

I've always maintained that if a Wodehouse book cannot lift your spirits, you must be pretty close to suicide.

Amazing plots, memorable characters and superb prose. Long winding complex sentences that never fail to incite peals of laughter, long after you've put the book down.

Wodehouse is the master of the simile and the metaphor.

He can nail a character with just one sentence. His stories are full of estranged lovers, funny misunderstandings, meddlesome aunts, young curates ambitious vicars and absent minded uncles and an absolutely convoluted plot.

Bertram Wilberforce Wooster and his "Gentleman's personal gentleman"-the incomparable Reginald Jeeves will remain of of the most memorable characters in literature.

Quotes like this will be peppered throughout the book

"It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't."

"I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. "

"Memories are like mulligatawny soup in a cheap restaurant. It is best not to stir them. "

QED.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Code of the Woosters.