Justine's Reviews > The Tiger's Wife

The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht

Aug 10, 11

Read from August 01 to 06, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I have incredibly mixed feelings about this book and will try to articulate them to see if I can make some sense of the score I should assign.

The positives:

Obreht writes incredibly well, her descriptions are lush and evoked several visceral reactions. There is an underlying brutality that she writes about which contributes to the readers understanding of how the war affected and continues to affect those in the region. Several times I wondered if some of the detail was necessary or just over the top.

The story of the deathless man was intriguing. Initially someone mentioned vampires during the book club recommendation but I came to see him more as the Grim Reaper.

The negatives:
I still don't understand the intertwining stories and how they correlated. The title of the book is "The Tiger's Wife", yet the book's primary focus, while it does pertain to a tiger(s), is not about the wife. I had to go back and reread several sections multiple times to make sure I hadn't missed something as I was often lost in some of the sub-stories. I also felt like key pieces of the book were missing, the denouement per se. To the author's credit, she did wrap up quite a few things in the last 20 pages: the relationship with Zora, the death of her grandfather, and the Mora.

I am still perplexed by this novel, I want some sort of finish, or some reason why I actually read this book ll the way through.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tiger's Wife.

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Anne I feel the same way. Did she ever actually say what happened to the Tiger's Wife? Was there a baby? I wanted to know and felt like I should read it again to find out!

Aimee Glad it wasn't just me. I finally finished this but still don't feel like I finished it.

Emily It seemed like it just ended. I was all "Wait, that's it?"

message 2: by Robyn (last edited Jan 12, 2012 01:50PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Robyn Markow Me Too;it was v.well written but had quite a few holes in it nonetheless;is the "Deathless Man" also the tiger? Who was the father of "Tiger's Wife's Baby?"?(I'm guessing her father-in-law) I enjoy Magic Realism in books but it has to plausible as well.

Carrie Ditto.