Virginia Hill's Reviews > Winter Garden

Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah

Dec 31, 11

bookshelves: chick-lit, fiction, read-2011, made-me-cry
Read from December 25 to 31, 2011

Five stars. Five tissues...at least. Those of you who have read Kristin Hannah are already aware of how intensely moving her novels are. Winter Garden is no exception. It is a stirring depiction of two daughters, Meredith and Nina, dealing with the death of their beloved father and his request of them to get to know their secretive and reserved mother. They must get her to continue telling them the fairy tale she had started when they were young but hadn't yet finished.

As the novel (and fairy tale) unfold we learn how their mother's repressed behavior towards her own daughters has affected their lives and relationships. Since I don't do spoilers I will reveal no more specifics. I'll just say when Meredith, Nina, and their mother go to Alaska together more than just the majestic beauty of the area is revealed.

(Note: The story was motivation enough for finishing it in a timely manner, but another inducement was it would be my 52nd book read in 2011. I had challenged myself to read 40, but I could not leave my total at 51 when 52 would make my average for the year perfect!)

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter Garden.

12/24/2011 page 101
12/30/2011 page 214
54.0% "Must. Finish. Tomorrow."