Lisa Vegan's Reviews > When It's Six O'Clock in San Francisco: A Trip Through Time Zones

When It's Six O'Clock in San Francisco by C.J. Omololu

Mar 18, 11

bookshelves: childrens, non-fiction, nature, social-culture, reviewed, fiction, picture-books
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
Recommended for: kids who are interested in time zones & other cultures; to teach about time zones & hemispheres
Read on March 18, 2011

I love that this book starts with San Francisco’s time zone, and I learned something. I thought Hawaii was 3 hours, not just 2 hours, earlier than San Francisco; I guess most of it is, but not Honolulu.

This is a fine book for teaching about time zones. I’ve always known about them, at least since I was five, but I’ve also always been interested in them. This is a good book for kids who know about them and are fascinated and to try to explain time zones to kids who don’t yet know about them, or struggle to understand them. I love the accumulating clocks that appear on each page as the story goes around the world. I was waiting for, and thankfully got at the end, a map that shows each time zone. Seasons and the hemispheres are also briefly addressed.

The book tries to be interesting by introducing children around the world and giving each a snippet of a story, and it was a good choice to do that. But, for me, even though I appreciated the inclusion of specific cultural information, the stories were just okay. Ditto the illustrations; the pictures held my interest, but it was the clocks and map I found most interesting.

I have another time zones non-fiction book for children on reserve at the library.

It’s so frustrating to read a book with “San Francisco” in the title that can’t appropriately be placed on my san-francisco shelf.

3 ½ stars
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When It's Six O'Clock in San Francisco.

message 1: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn I didn't realize that about Hawaii, either! When we were on Maui, it was three hours behind California.

Lisa Vegan Kathryn wrote: "I didn't realize that about Hawaii, either! When we were on Maui, it was three hours behind California."

In the book, you can see Honolulu is just inside the 2 hour away zone, very near to the 3 hour away zone.

Abigail, looking up that book and then will post (if there's not a power outage. My lights keep flickering and the wind and rain and strong!

Lisa Vegan Speaking of the weather, and Kathryn will know where I mean: There are tornado warnings for the Peninsula. Ack!!! I just warned a friend not to go down to San Bruno to her tax CPA to drop off things until the risk of tornados is 0, which is what the risk usually is around here.

Lisa Vegan I'm just grateful to not be in Japan. But, I am terrified of earthquakes so living where I do sometimes is anxiety provoking. Actually, New York is not considered completely safe from earthquakes, and that's true of many little known quake dangerous places.