Lori L (She Treads Softly) 's Reviews > The Hunt For Atlantis

The Hunt For Atlantis by Andy McDermott

Mar 15, 11

Read in January, 2011

The Hunt for Atlantis by Andy McDermott represents a genre that is one of my guilty pleasures: action/adventure novels. As Publisher's Weekly said, McDermott "raises the bar to please adventure junkies who prefer to mainline their action." And that is the reality here. The Hunt for Atlantis is a fast paced, globetrotting novel that has plenty of action. It is like a merge of Indiana Jones and 24. Really. The novel goes from one adventure plus narrow escape to another.

Let me be honest here. When reading action/adventure novels I'm not necessarily looking for great character development or subtle plot shifts. I want the pure adrenaline rush that non-stop action and narrow escapes provide. That's it. And McDermott delivers the goods. It is also very humorous at times and McDermott, a former movie critic, includes lots of movie references.

You do have to suspend disbelief to enjoy the story, after all, the action is the whole point, but I did have to roll my eyes several times. One good example occurred when the characters are in Paris, and are going to see the sights. They only spend the morning at the Louvre, go shopping in the afternoon, and Nina still had time to be back at her room in the afternoon for a nap. Yeah... But, if you are just seeking escapism and can overlook the characters ping-ponging across the globe with seemingly little or no preparation, narrowly surviving every fatal circumstance, then you're going to enjoy The Hunt for Atlantis.

The Hunt for Atlantis was on my wish list for a couple years so I was pleased to see that currently there are five books in the series, with more due out. I guess we all know what I'll be looking for at my local used book store. In the mean time I know a couple other people who will enjoy The Hunt for Atlantis.
Highly Recommended; http://shetreadssoftly.blogspot.com/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunt For Atlantis.