Zeek's Reviews > The Spymaster's Lady

Mar 15, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: romance, hist-rom-quirky-h-h, hist-rom
Read in February, 2008

I think I'm the only one who couldnt get into The Spymaster's Lady. I quit about page 100 deciding I'll have to come back to it later- if ever. I have issues with the heroine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spymaster's Lady.

08/13/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-11)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Fani *loves angst* No, count me in! I did finish it, but IMO, the second part was even worst than the first:) I had big issues with the heroine too.

message 10: by Zeek (new) - rated it 1 star

Zeek Yeah, and I couldnt get a grasp on the hero right away either- that always torpedo's a book for me. :/

Fani *loves angst* The hero was so and so; at least I didn't have problems with him. But how a spy(=the heroine) blurted all her personal & professional secrets to a complete stranger + failed to recognise his voice when they had spent so much time together and since she was blind, she must have relied on her hearing strongly, is COMPLETELY beyond me. Or how she performed a surgery while blind? Pleeeeaaase! Not to mention how she acted like a small child at one time and like a saucy, confident woman at the next moment.

Sorry to vent like that, but as you've noticed, there aren't much of us out there:)

message 8: by Zeek (new) - rated it 1 star

Zeek I never made it that far but ITA, way to over the top suspension of belief PLUS I didnt get the whole small child yet supposedly confident thing either! oy

Fani *loves angst* It's good to know I'm not alone at last:)

message 6: by Zeek (new) - rated it 1 star

Zeek haha! This happens alot to me- books I love other people are having fun trashing and setting fire to and books they rave about I'm all "meh".

deh well

Fani *loves angst* It happens to all of us, but in this case it was too extreme: EVERYONE loved it, so it felt too weird to not even like it.

seton I read it. Thought the writing style was good but didnt like the disconnect of the author telling me that Annique is the greatest. spy. evah. versus Grey always being one step ahead of her. Since I dont like spy stories in the first place, I didnt think the writing was THAT good to overcome my usual tastes. Havent read her since.

message 3: by Fani *loves angst* (last edited Mar 16, 2011 11:02AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Fani *loves angst* I agree seton that she did too much 'telling' and not showing. I haven't read another book of hers either, it's one of those rare cases where the author went directly to my "don't-bother-again" shelf with just one book.

new_user Fani, you might like The Forbidden Rose better. I thought it was more believable, at least. And the heroine does more for herself.

Fani *loves angst* Thanks new user, it's good to hear the next book's better!