Michelle 's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Jun 28, 11

bookshelves: 2011, favorites, debut-authors
Read from March 15 to May 09, 2011

I received an ARC of this thanks to Pam over at Bookalicious who is amazing at sharing books with other bloggers. I was DYING to read this book - and then I just kept putting it off. I don't really know why either. I had heard nothing but amazing things about this book but I just never picked it up. When I finally did - OMG. I could not put it down. I loved this book so much. One of my top 5 favorites of the year for sure. I love dystopian, adventure, hot love story - and this book had it all and then some.

We find our main character Beatrice, or Tris as she becomes known, having to choose which faction she will be in - Candor, Abnegation (her parents faction), Dauntless, Amity, or Erudite. Tris has never felt like she belongs in Abnegation and when she takes the test that is suppose to determine which faction she belongs in - she comes up Divergent, meaning she has characteristics of several factions. This makes the choice harder for Tris but she goes with her gut and chooses Dauntless, the brave.

When Tris goes to Dauntless she and the rest of the recruits are put through a number of tests and trials to determine who will stay and who will become factionless. Throughout the book, Tris must face ruthless opponents, terrifying situations, and a blooming romance.

There was so much greatness in this book. First, I loved Tris. She is tough but is always loyal - even if it means getting on the wrong side of initiates who would do anything to stay in the faction. As the story progresses, we get to see Tris develop and become Dauntless - the most opposite faction from Abnegation as you can get.

The main boy in the book, Four, is heart-throb-delicious. I just loved him. At first you're not sure how to take him or what to expect from him. Once his character is developed you just fall in love with him. I would definitely want him on my side in a fight, for sure! And even when he's not suppose to, when it could get him in trouble - he protects Tris as best he can.

The story is action packed and I loved the world that Roth created. She did such a great job of setting up each faction - and giving the reader an idea of what is behind them. And the fight scenes she writes are epic. I felt like I was watching, not just reading, the scenes. I could see it playing out and was immersed in the world.

So, if you haven't read Divergent you - get on it! It is amazing and well worth your time. I can't wait for the second book, Insurgent, to come out and see what happens with the characters next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

05/06/2011 page 130
05/08/2011 page 339
70.0% "Ahhh! So freaking good!"
show 2 hidden updates…