Neil Mudde's Reviews > Half Broke Horses

Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls

2034390
Mar 15, 11

Read in March, 2011

An interesting but sometimes tedious book. I looked in the beginning that the main character Lil Casey would be a Lesbian, and only goes to show that gender issues can be difficult to define.
Interesting family, her Father, who is a unique character, if not a bit loony, constantly fighting legal battles in order to get moneys out of all sorts of things.
It goes into some detail of days gone by, living in an dug out of the earth home. Momma was a Lady and did not do manual labour.
She became a teacher who ruled her students, even to the point of trashing them, in fact there is a time when she trashes her daughter, since being a tomboy has little fear of what men could do to her, in any case, after the trashing Mother asks if she has learned anything from the trashing, she waits for a few minutes, then states one she learned that if she ever had children she would never lay a hand on her.
Meeting and marrying this guy, who she discovers is married with several children. She has a Sister who is set on becoming a star in Hollywood, ends up being pregnant, and moves in with her in the desert, they are Catholics and the priest condems her, in fact the Sister hangs herself, after which she is refused burial in "consecrated ground" meaning a Roman Catholic Cemetary, good heavens so much for God, and Love.
I started skipping pages, they move away from the farm into a city which they do not like, she ends up trying to be in control of her daughters life, or tries to be, I don,t think I would read another book by that author, although I need to be careful what I say, I recently spent several weeks in Puorto Vallarta, ran out of English Books, and would hate to tell you some of the books I read!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half Broke Horses.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Barbara please indicate that the review contains spoilers.