Noelle's Reviews > Curious Notions

Curious Notions by Harry Turtledove

Mar 18, 11

Teenager Paul Gomes and his father travel to the San Francisco of an alternate timeline, one where Germany won World War I and America is dominated by the Kaiser’s Germany. Their mission is to bring home produce for their own resource-depleted timeline. To locals like Lucy Woo, a 16-year old who works full time to support her family, Paul and his father are known as the keepers of an electronics shop called Curious Notions. When both the German police and the Chinese triads get suspicious about the technologically advanced goods at Curious Notions, Lucy and Paul are caught up in an adventure that threatens their families and the secret that Paul and his father are guarding.

Although presumably written for adults, this title would also be a good choice for teens and fans of YA literature, due to its young protagonists. Those who enjoy well-drawn characters, compelling plots, or science fiction, specifically alternate histories, will enjoy the dark world created by Harry Turtledove. The language is accessible and simple, but certainly does not stand out on its own merit; in fact, although I usually enjoy fiction with speculative and adventure elements, I couldn’t get past how poorly written and edited this book was. I would not recommend this book to fans of literary fiction who enjoy reading for the language and style as much as the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Curious Notions.