Katie(babs)'s Reviews > Lothaire

Lothaire by Kresley Cole

Jan 13, 12

Read from January 10 to 13, 2012

There are only a few select authors I consider to be like crack with their series. JR Ward is my #1 crack. Kresley Cole comes in a very close second. Kresley’s Immortals after Dark series is very addicting and she writes characters who walk a very fine line in regards to morals. Her heroes and heroine are fierce warriors who will fight to the death to survive or get what they feel they. The majority of these supernatural characters are close to losing their minds because they've been alive for so long and must constantly be on their toes in case they’re decapitated or tortured horribly by their adversaries.

Lothaire is one character who Kresley’s fans had been anxious for to be the star of his own book. He made quite the splash in the last book, Dreams of a Dark Warrior and almost took over the story. Now Lothaire is the only character who not only has been given hard cover status (at $25.00 a pop) but the only title as the character’s name in this entire series. I recommend you go back and read all prior books before this one because you'll understand the world and why Lothaire acts the way he does. You also may end up hating Lothaire for what he does to the heroine, human, Elizabeth “Ellie” Peirce during the course of this story.

Lothaire is a very complicated character. You will either love him or hate him. The majority of the time I couldn’t stand him. He reminded me so much of another egotistical, cruel and harsh immortal man I fondly call Le Douche concerning Karen Marie Moning’s Jerricho Barrons from her immensely popular Fever series. I despise Barrons le Douche with everything I have inside of me. Lothaire for most of this book was channeling Le Douche and Kresley barely made him redeemable by the end. But Kresley is a very sly wench of an author and does something amazing based on her epilogues.

The epilogue to Lothaire is the best one she has written in all her IAD books. She gives us insight on the main character before they become this heartless, and in most cases, ruthless killer. The start of Lothaire shows Lothaire at eight years old and not yet a vampire. Lothaire will become a vampire by the time he’s in his early thirties, but as an eight year old he’s a typical boy who enjoys puzzles and adores his puppy. His mother is a proud queen of the Daci race, another type of vampire, and Lothaire is meant to take over the crown there and become the Daci king. Unfortunately his father is a cruel bastard who throws Lothaire and his mother, Ivana out into the snow.

And based on this small excerpt about the fate of Lothaire’s puppy, I teared up. This is something I never done while reading an epilogue. *shakes fist at Kresley*

“Lothaire’s puppy had followed him, wide-eyed and tripping over its own paws, panicked to catch up with him. While Lothaire stared in disbelief, Stefanovich (Lothaire’s father) had seized the dog by is scruff, snapping its back."

This description stuck with me throughout the entire novel, showing what horrors Lothaire went through from his mother being raped and killed, to him being buried underground for 600 years, to being left alone and transforming into a vindictive, vengeful killer. Based on Lothaire’s love for his puppy and revenge for this mother, I kept that in back of mine and excused most of his behavior. And since Lothaire is thousands of years old, the way he reacts to things can be excused to a certain point.

Lothaire wants to rule every kingdom he can get his hand on in the Lore, as well as Dacia. In order to do that he needs an immortal bride. Her name is Saroya, a goddess who has been cursed and takes over human bodies. Lothaire meets Saroya, while in the body of the teenage, Ellie Peirce, who is poor white trash and lives with her family in the Appalachian Mountains. From that moment on, Lothaire comes to the conclusion that Saroya is his bride because of the way his body reacts to her. He will free Saroya from her mortal bonds and they’ll rule together. In order to do this, Lothaire must find a special ring that grants wishes. Until then, Lothaire wants Saroya to remain safe and treat the body she’s in as a temple. This is unfortunate for Ellie, who blacks out thanks to Saroya and ends up on death row because Saroya goes on a bloody rampage. Ellie is stuck in prison for five years, hoping she's given the needle because she feels her life has been destroyed. But Lothaire saves her right when she’s about to die by lethal injection and imprisons her in his penthouse in New York City.

Lothaire is cruel to Ellie because he thinks Saroya is his mate and only worthy of him. Ellie doesn’t cower in fear and refuses to be a victim, knowing she has less than a month until Lothaire is able to unlock the solution to breaking Saroya’s curse. Ellie is ready to go down in flames, but wants to enjoy herself before she's snuffed out by Lothaire. She drives him up the wall, by seducing him with her virgin, redneck temptress body Lothaire wants to eat up. Lothaire hasn’t had sex in thousands of years and since he’s mighty fine to look at, Ellie will use him and hopefully make him like her so he will forget Saroya.

It’s a battle of wills between Lothaire and Ellie and soon Lothaire is confused and annoyed because Ellie has broken through his defenses. She questions his reason for things, such as his endgame he’s obsessed in accomplishing. But after he does complete his endgame, he has nothing else to look forward to. And the times Saroya appears, he grows annoyed with her because he’s failing for Ellie. So is Ellie his bride or is Saroya? And if Ellie is his true bride, he loses everything because his oracle and his advisory and sometimes friend, the loopy and close to deranged Valkerie Nix, says he can only be king if he has Saroya as his bride.

Lothaire is an intense, character driven book about a battle of wits between two people who have nothing to lose. Ellie should be rocking a corner and twitching from everything she has endured. But her mind never breaks. She may just be my favorite Kresley heroine up to this point because she takes on Lothaire, the bad ass vampire king of old and is willing to get burned because it feels so good.

Watching Lothaire fall for Ellie is a riot. Lothaire comes across as adorable more than a few times, along with being a douche. The adorable times outweighed his douchey times, especially when he watches Ellie while he’s invisible and expects her to start crying when she can’t escape his penthouse. She doesn’t and Lothaire’s very analytical mind is thrown off center because half the time he can’t figure out what Ellie is going to do next. She keeps him on his toes and the law and order he has created is now in chaos. Lothaire has a bad case of OCD and Ellie is the only medication that can keep him sane.

Readers may have a big issue because Lothaire never really grovels and begs for Ellie’s forgiveness. He’s one stubborn SOB you want to shake. He also acts immature at certain points, sending Ellie his heart (literally) in a box because of something she did that hurt him. Her response is a big awesome FU back to him that will make you stand up and applaud. Ellie has balls and she’s not afraid to use them.

The foreplay and sex here could melt an egg on the hot pavement. Some of the best love scenes Kresley have written are here and they're all very naughty and OMG give me more! I feel as if Lothaire is Kresley's own endgame of sorts. She’s closing more than a few open plot lines while introducing new ones. We gain some big insight on Lothaire and Nix’s relationship that's a very tender one, as well as a big spoiler about Lothaire’s family. When we’re introduced to Lothaire’s brother on the last page, it totes of awesome because he’s one character whose story I’ve been waiting for since the very beginning, including his heroine who has never appeared on any page, but is the most tortured of any characters in this series.

I’ve said I many times before, I bow down at the altar of Kresley Cole. Even though I wanted to smack Lothaire more than a few times and I wished Ellie would have cut off a certain part of his anatomy for being mean to her, I was lost in this book and hungry for more. Lothaire is the ultimate feast for any reader and had me begging for more scraps.

Thank you Kresley for writing another entertaining book that has me anxious for the next one. I even forgive you for the way Lothaire’s puppy was disregarded, while I both cursed you, as well as sighed over everything you’ve written. Lothaire engaged me in ways I never expected.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lothaire.

01/10/2012 page 80
17.0% "Best prologue in all of the IAD books. Lothaire is a egotistical, jerk right now." 2 comments
01/11/2012 page 150
32.0% "I'm warming up to Lothaire. He's so confused when it comes to Ellie. Also he's very horny. Haha."
01/11/2012 page 250
53.0% "Dry humping with jeans on has never been sexier when Lothaire is involved."
01/11/2012 page 250
53.0% "All I'm going to say is- Head." 3 comments
01/12/2012 page 250
53.0% "Lothaire has excellent tongue and mouth action if you get my meaning. *wink wink*"

Fiction Fool I'm thinking it's either Nix or Furie. I hope it's Nix as well. But from the last book he talks about saving her. From what? Does Nix need saving? He also talks about her being young. But this could be HOW he remembers her. Dunno.

Fiction Fool Who is there left in the series that's unmated that we know of? There's Kaderin's sisters. But they're not in need of saving anymore. The crone from Omort's dungeon that made the morsis is now free. I don't think it was her. There's also the goddess of impossibilities. Neh. I think the two best possibilities are Nix or Furie or someone we don't know of at all.

Katie(babs) Aimee wrote: "Who is there left in the series that's unmated that we know of? There's Kaderin's sisters. But they're not in need of saving anymore. The crone from Omort's dungeon that made the morsis is now fr..."

Furie is et up to be with the other king of the vamps, the one who put her in the bottom of the ocean. KC wouldn't have some new female pop out of the blue, would she?

Fiction Fool Wasn't in Emma's father who put her in the bottom of the ocean? He's dead. The only other king who is alive is Kristoff. Hmm. Interesting.

She does bring in new people sometimes. We'd never heard of Holly, and Sabine until Cadeon's series. Also, Neomi was new as well. I really want it to be Nix though.

Katie(babs) Aimee wrote: "Wasn't in Emma's father who put her in the bottom of the ocean? He's dead. The only other king who is alive is Kristoff. Hmm. Interesting.

She does bring in new people sometimes. We'd never he..."

I thought Kristoff put her in the ocean? he's the one she ends up with and be the last book in the series.

Fiction Fool You must be up with KC's interviews. I didn't know any of this. I need to get off my lazy butt and inform myself better.

Katie(babs) Aimee wrote: "You must be up with KC's interviews. I didn't know any of this. I need to get off my lazy butt and inform myself better."

Her forum on her website has lots of juicy stuff.

Fiction Fool I'm on it! ;-)

Susie Kristoff didn't put her in the ocean. In Hunger Like No Other, Demestriu tells Emma that "Lothaire saw to it" when Emma asks if he killed her. At one point on Cole's website, it said something like Kristoff is trying to find Furie to save her. I also was on the forums at one point and read that Lothaire's mate is not Nix. :( I think whoever said it is right, it's probably someone we haven't met yet?

Katie(babs) Susie wrote: "Kristoff didn't put her in the ocean. In Hunger Like No Other, Demestriu tells Emma that "Lothaire saw to it" when Emma asks if he killed her. At one point on Cole's website, it said something li..."

ah poop. I thought it would be Nix, or at least someone we met before. I'm dying not knowing!

Caylin I was thinking furie too

Susie I found it! It's at http://kresleycole.com/books/immortal...

"Kristoff, the new vampire king is guilt-stricken over Furie's fate at the bottom of the ocean, but he's so busy fighting the Horde that his hands are tied to do anything. Events from A HUNGER LIKE NO OTHER make it possible for Kristoff to begin searching relentlessly for her. So Furie will rise in time with the Accession."

I'm hoping that they're fated for each other. As for Lothaire, I still don't really like him! I hope he grows on me in this upcoming book.

message 13: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Phooey ! I thought it was Furie too. But alas its gotta be someone we haven't heard of . I am looking forward to see how he is going to get all the other characters pay up their favor debts. I love Lothaire . Arrogant SOB and all.

Jenny Michelle wrote: "Phooey ! I thought it was Furie too. But alas its gotta be someone we haven't heard of . I am looking forward to see how he is going to get all the other characters pay up their favor debts. I love..."

I really like him too - I'm kind of hoping its Nix - she is one of my favourite characters and I want to see her with someone - though I believe she will become a goddess soon

Katie(babs) I have no clue who L's women is now. *grumble*

message 16: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa i kinda thing he and nix had a thing going on. like every 500 years they have an affair? thats what i thought. i hope its NIX!!!!!

Katie(babs) Lisa wrote: "i kinda thing he and nix had a thing going on. like every 500 years they have an affair? thats what i thought. i hope its NIX!!!!!"

I wouldn't be surprised if they both were knocking the boots with one another.

message 18: by Fiction Fool (last edited Mar 21, 2011 10:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fiction Fool I'm gunning for Lothaire and Nix. They had chemistry after all. And he called her by her real name. Phenix. I think there was something to that. Or at least, I want there to be something to that.

And I could totally see Lothaire giving Nix a bat.

Magda I do think it's Nix. It would be perfect, she has the foresight & he has the insight.

Katie(babs) Any new word if it is Nix?

Courtney Alston In an interview she says "Lothaire's heroine is EVIL. Even gives Lothaire pause."

Jenny Courtney wrote: "In an interview she says "Lothaire's heroine is EVIL. Even gives Lothaire pause.""

Now I really want to know who it is!!

Magda Well, it's not Nix. Book description has been added.

Katie(babs) Magda wrote: "Well, it's not Nix. Book description has been added."

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. :(

Tori  smexys_sidekick What is an Elizabeth?

Katie(babs) Mortal. Human. Woo.

Tori  smexys_sidekick Katie(babs) wrote: "Mortal. Human. Woo."

Hmmm. I'll wait to pass judgement. >.<

message 28: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Did you see the post on her FB page? It is a bit of a riddle.

Katie(babs) Jen wrote: "Did you see the post on her FB page? It is a bit of a riddle."

Hm. A past character who was killed early on and reincarnated as a human?

message 30: by Jen (last edited May 12, 2011 11:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen So you think the one about being a character we have met before is true? What about the other?

Her name is . . . Elizabeth Peirce, and she is the first mortal IAD protagonist, a character we've met before, not his original Bride, a being of untold power, and on death row. (And at least one of those statements is false) Which do you think are true?

Katie(babs) Jen wrote: "Her name is . . .
Elizabeth Peirce, and she is the first mortal IAD protagonist, a character we've met before, not his original Bride, a being of untold power, and on death row. (And at least one..."

any mortals we've met before in the past books? ugh have to remember through 12 of them?

message 32: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen But maybe that is the part that is false? Maybe all of them are false? KC is making us guess too much!

Katie(babs) Jen wrote: "But maybe that is the part that is false? Maybe all of them are false? KC is making us guess too much!"

maybe she's a vampire hunter? Has the power of some big immortal in her?

message 34: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Yes, for some reason I do think the being of untold power part is true. Vampire hunter is an interesting thought. KC can't make it easy for them.

I wonder about death row?

Magda KC writes: And at least one of those statements is false.
What if they're all false?
January feels so far off.

message 36: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen It would seem so odd for Lothaire's HEA to be with a plain, old human. Maybe that is just my opinion?

Katie(babs) Jen wrote: "It would seem so odd for Lothaire's HEA to be with a plain, old human. Maybe that is just my opinion?"

her blood has a special agent in it. Makes vampires human? OMG can you imagine. LOL

Magda Maybe he turns her?

Katie(babs) Magda wrote: "Maybe he turns her?"

Or maybe L becomes human? How cool would that be? A nice twist.

Magda Do you think KC would do that? Especially with the Ascension looming?

Fiction Fool Okay, I read that differently than you guys. It sounds like she was previously an immortal, was killed and then reincarnated as a human. So were not looking for a human that died previously in the IAD series, but an immortal. I know people were killed off in the Talisman Hie right? Or are we talking about meeting her in someone's memory of their past? The only mortal I know of that was killed in previous books was Bowen's first "mate". As far as immortals go, Mariketa killed a sorceress in her book. Did Kaderin kill any female immortals? There weren't any females killed in Naomi's and Conrad's or Holly and Cadeon stories. In Sabine's story they stole a power from a sorceress in the beginning who was incarcerated in an insane assylum. And I think Sabine's half sister (forgot her name) was killed along with Omort the deathless, but I can't remember. Furry may have been killed. We don't really have confirmation one way or the other do we? The only other Immortal that "might" be dead is El Dorada?

Magda Hmmm, didn't Kaderin kill a siren during the Hie? Hmmm, I'll have to re-read.

Katie(babs) Aimee (Fiction Fool) wrote: "Okay, I read that differently than you guys. It sounds like she was previously an immortal, was killed and then reincarnated as a human. So were not looking for a human that died previously in the ..."

OMG what if Elizabeth is Bowen's mate reincarnated? Now my mine is churning with the possibilities.

Fiction Fool Magda wrote: "Hmmm, didn't Kaderin kill a siren during the Hie? Hmmm, I'll have to re-read."

I can't remember. I know the siren and Bowen were both in the mine field together. She was trying get Thrane's key to bring back a child she lost. But I can't remember if she was killed or not.

Ashley I thought he and Nix would've been really interesting!

♥ Sarah ♥ That would've been nice, but Kresley has already said that her book would be at the very end of the series. So...I wouldn't want this to be her book! lol

message 47: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa you got my vote sister. i so wanted nix to get with him >:'(

message 48: by Sweetpea (new)

Sweetpea Smith i wonder if its nix some how i prayed it woulld be nix i like all the mates so for i love lothaire cuz he is mysterious. but who the heck is elizabeth i wanted nix why not nix. cant wait to read who will be kristoff mate he was jealous of the wroth brothers, still gunning for nix.

Chrisolu nix and lothaire equal too much power.

Rom-addict Chrisolu romance nix and lothaire equal too much power.

I guess that would have been fun ;) I wish it was nix too but look on the bright side, we can guarantee that there will be another book :)
I'm not sure how i'll survive when this series comes to an end :(

« previous 1