Erin Bowman's Reviews > Born Wicked

Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood

May 01, 12

bookshelves: historical, paranormal, series-still-reading, young-adult
Read from April 07 to 10, 2012 — I own a copy

Jessica Spotswood’s BORN WICKED was such a refreshing read. Witches! Alternate history! Gardens and magic and courtships! This is lovely debut, with gorgeous writing and a slower pace. (Note: slower does not mean boring. The pacing perfectly matches the relationship and tensions throughout, both with Cate and her sisters, and Cate and the townspeople that populate her life).

Two things stood out to me in this novel: the love interest, and the relationship between the sisters. Let’s start with Finn. I adore this man. I love how he is not angsty and brooding. He is not the “bad boy” type. He is smart and passionate and well-spoken. He is a bit of a bookworm. He’s a gentlemen and I fell for him alongside Cate.

And then the sisters. Cate feels a lot of responsibility when it comes to protecting her sisters. Tensions are high between her and her middle sister, Maura. The youngest, Tess, is a sweetheart. The relationship between all three seemed heartfelt and authentic. I’m anxious to see how things progress in book two. The ending is not a cliffhanger in my opinion, but Cate does make a decision that is certain to come with consequences, and this sisters have a lot ahead of them.

Originally reviewed here.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born Wicked.

04/08/2012 page 53
04/10/2012 page 330
100.0% "Talk about a terrifying world. I do love Cate though -- her stubbornness and loyalty and gardening passions. Also: Finn. Full review to come." 1 comment
show 1 hidden update…