ebnewberry Newberry's Reviews > The Coroner's Lunch

The Coroner's Lunch by Colin Cotterill

Apr 19, 11

bookshelves: fiction
Read from March 15 to April 19, 2011

I really enjoyed this book. This is one of those rare books that really makes you see the good side of a region that is often described in disparaging ways. This books takes place in Laos just after the beginning of Communist rule. The main character is a seventy-something coroner who has a homely nurse and a young man with Down's Syndrome for his staff. Their boring day to day jobs become a bit more exciting when several unexplained murders turn up in the morgue. The author describes both life in the city and when in the course of investigation, the main character travels into Hmong territory, he lets us know what the tribal areas of Laos are like. The characters are very engaging and I enjoyed the interactions between them. It reminded me very much of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith (which if you know me is a very high complement). This is the beginning of a series that I can't wait to more fully explore.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Coroner's Lunch.