Siobian's Reviews > The Book of Tomorrow

The Book of Tomorrow by Cecelia Ahern

1362023
Apr 06, 11

bookshelves: fiction-fair-group-reads, library, magical-realism, read-in-2011, young-adult
Read in April, 2011

Tamara Goodwin is a teenager who is used to getting what she wants, when she wants it. From a plasma TV in her shower, to a pink convertable Mini Cooper, she needs but to ask and there it is. However, when her father commits suicide, Tamara finds out that the family finances were not as great as she thought and suddenly she is plunged from her palatial house in the suburbs, to a small cottage in the middle of nowhere. Her mother seems to have lost all grips with reality, sleeping all day and leaving only Tamara's strange aunt and distant uncle to keep an eye on her. Not used to having nothing to do and no friends around to run to, Tamara begins to explore her new surroundings and finds a castle ruin with a mysterious past that she becomes more and more curious about. Soon, her mother's health and the castle's history aren't the only things on Tamara's mind. One day while looking through a travelling library van, she finds large leather book with a lock on it and no key. She takes it home and after having some help by her new friend Sister Ignatius with breaking it open, discovers that the book is blank. Sister Ignatius encourages Tamara to use it as her own diary and record her thoughts as she mourns her father's death. Tamara decides to try this, but when she opens the diary the next time, she finds that the first page already has an entry in her handwriting about everything that happens the next day. When she finds that the next day goes exactly as the entry said it would, Tamara decides to use this to her advantage and make a new tomorrow.

At first glance, I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy this novel. I'll be honest, Tamara kind of got on my nerves the first few chapters. Really, she was a spoiled brat. Although I wasn't sure, I kept going, hoping that soon she would change and the story would be interesting enough to help me bear with the lead character; and luckily, the story was interesting and Tamara did change. I quickly became drawn into the book's promise that all was not as it seemed in the small cottage and that the history behind the castle was something I wouldn't want to miss. As I read further and further into the book, I liked the story and characters more and soon couldn't put the book down. It was interesting to see what Tamara would do with her knowledge of the next day and how she would make changes or choose not to. She finally grew on me as a character, although I still cringed sometimes, and I loved the spunky nun, Sister Ignatius. I thought this was a beautifully written novel that combines a hint of fairy tale with a bit of mystery.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Tomorrow.