Nairabell's Reviews > Spy Glass

1954980
Mar 15, 2011

bookshelves: 5-star, fantasy, read-in-2011, signed-books
Read on March 15, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Opal Cowan sacrificed her powers in the showdown at Hubal to save those she loves. Now immune to magic, Opal is an outsider looking in at the life she reliquished. But when Opal begins to work with glass again she discovers a new skill - her creations now flash in the presence of magic. Opal learns that some of her stolen blood may still be out there, and she sets off to discover whether she can find it and regain her powers or if they are lost forever.

This is the third book in the Glass trilogy (after Storm Glass and Sea Glass), and I started reading it straight after I finished the last volume which ended on a massive cliffhanger. I couldn't wait to get stuck in, but I never expected such a twisty turny rollercoaster of a plot.

Opal begins the book moping about the loss of her powers, but when Valek comes to visit her she realises that her powers might not be as lost as she thought. This sets her off on a madcap journey across Sitia, and the plot has loads of small storylines that run parallel to the main. Maria V. Snyder is an incredible writer and Opal's journey is really well written. The plot goes in so many different directions that it could have ended up seeming like Opal randomly wandered off on tangents, but it flows really well.

The romance based storyline took a few turns I didn't see coming, but I think Opal ended up with the best person for her in the end. However, there isn't much focus here as the book follows Opal closely so if you're looking for a detailed romance this isn't the book for you.

I loved how Valek took a large role in the book, and welcomed the return of Ari and Janco. However, the stand out character for me was Opal's mother - especially her reaction to Opal when she arrives home just days before Mara and Leif's wedding. It's both brilliant and hilarious.

All in all this was an awesome read, and I thoroughly recommend the entire trilogy to anyone who enjoys fantasy novels.

Plot: 10/10
Characters: 10/10
Ending: 10/10
Enjoyment: 10/10
Cover: 9/10

Overall: 49/50

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spy Glass.