Jennifer - The Book Admirer's Reviews > Raveling: A Novel

Raveling by Peter Moore Smith

Mar 18, 11

Read on March 15, 2011

Raveling by Peter Moore Smith is about two brothers, Eric a doctor and Pilot a schizophrenic. Eric and Pilot's sister disappeared 20 years ago and Pilot is convinced that Eric killed her and hid her body somewhere, throughout the novel Pilot is trying to convince this to his psychotherapist Katherine and anyone else who will listen. I found the story to be gripping and suspenseful, after I read the ending and found out what happened to their sister I was sickened and still thinking about it days afterward. The only thing I did not like about this novel is the way it was written. All of it is written from Pilot's point a view, which normally wouldn't be a bad thing, but in the book he is omniscient so he knows everything there is to know about everyone. This gets confusing because he is telling the story as if he is in the room with the other characters when he isn't. I got confused a few times as to who was telling the story because sometimes it seemed like it was coming from Katherine or Eric. There are also no chapters which seemed odd.

I liked some of the characters more than others. I really liked Pilot I liked how his thoughts were all over the place it made it believable that he could be crazy yet he was very self aware most of the time. Katherine, I did not like at all. Maybe if she weren't a psychotherapist my feelings would be different, but the way she was written she just came across as extremely unprofessional with how she handled Pilot and her relationship with Eric and mixing the two together. Plus for someone in the profession of helping those who are mentally unstable she had a lot of issues that she never helped herself with or solved in the book. It would have been nice if she had some closure of her own. Eric came across as very one dimensional and remote. It was like he was a robot trying to act like he was human. It was only the in the flashback scenes that we got another side of him.

Overall I liked it, I give it 3 stars. It was worth the read and enjoyable once you can get the hang of the writing style, but I don't think I would read it again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raveling.