Charlotte's Reviews > Oaxaca Journal

Oaxaca Journal by Oliver Sacks

Jul 23, 12

Read from July 20 to 23, 2012

I admit it. I'm a geek. I picked this book up for a few reasons: I have enjoyed Oliver Sacks's books on neurology, I have fond memories of a trip to Oaxaca, and I am a plant-nerd. There are plenty of things I appreciated about this journal. Mainly I get inspired by all the interdisciplinary connections that are made. It's not about ferns. It's more about belonging. Sacks finds his place within a subculture of fern enthusiasts. I'm happy that he found people who share his passion. But DIAL IT BACK, people! Some of these fern-hunters are like those little kids you meet who have singular interests. They corner you and want to tell you all about airplanes or vacuum cleaners. They don't seem to notice that nobody else is THAT interested in their obsession. It can be cute and impressive when they are little. But if an adult is behaving the same way and is still unable to pick up on social cues, then it's not as endearing. At the same time, I wonder if this sort of extreme specialization that often comes along with Autism spectrum disorders isn't the direction we are evolving.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oaxaca Journal.