bell's Reviews > Landing

Landing by Emma Donoghue

Apr 15, 11

bookshelves: country-canada, country-ireland, genre-romance, genre-queer
Read in April, 2011, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** As a Brazilian who came to Canada to marry her long-distance, same-sex girlfriend..... I gotta say, this book manages to both be accurate and satisfying. I couldn't wait to get back to reading the book, and I was loathe to ever put it down!

I did find its long-term vision of relationships to be depressing. By the end of the book, all of the "happy" relationships are debunked with behind-the-scenes affairs (Jael, Gwen, and Marcus), suicide (Síle's mother), and unhappiness (the divorced couple in Canada who still live together). No relationship can work out, really? That foreshadows a dark ending for Jude and Síle.

Also, with the number of affairs going on, it'd have been nice one example of a polyamorous relationship; Jael seems to be cannonically poly (one person for a whole lifetime isn't enough for her). Instead, monogamy is portrayed as the only option-- one that makes so many people miserable. I hope it works for at least Jael and Anton; the text was vague enough for that to be a possibility.

(Plus Kathleen-- ;__; I waited THE WHOLE BOOK to find out what was up with her reaction to the breakup. I wanted to know moooore about her. Alas! Denied! *SAD*)

What I enjoyed was... its light-heartedness (even when events got melodramatic, a sense of good cheer pervaded). The cast's diversity. A story about two women in love that felt real and true. The insights into human nature. The language. The sense that everything would be alright. The perfect descriptions of air travel, longing, and count-downs to when you'll next see your love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Landing.