K.D. Absolutely's Reviews > A Midsummer Night's Dream

A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare

May 08, 11

bookshelves: play, ws
Recommended to K.D. by: Filipinos Group Read (May 2011)
Read from April 30 to May 08, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Yey! The very first Shakespeare that I read from cover to cover! Sneer if you have to but I graduated from a low-standard high school in a small island in the Pacific. The only dramatization that we did was Leon Ma. Guerrero's My Brother Leon Brought Home a Wife. I played the lead role of Leon, the young farmer, though. In college, I took up a paramedical course in the city and we had World Lit but we only read mimeographed copies of Shakespeare sonnets. I still remember the term iambic pentamer but don't ask me to explain what that means since it was almost 30 years ago. Since then, Shakespeare works seem to be too classy for me to read. I thought that I would never find myself reading this book or any of his plays for that matter.

So this is how a Shakespeare's play looks like? I say it's awesome.

Midsummer Night's Dream is composed of 4 stories interwoven into the play: (1) The story of the Duke of Athens, Theseus and his fiancée, the Queen of the Amazons, Hipolita; (2) The story of the entangled lovers - two young men Lysander and Demetrius in love with Hermia who is only in love with Lysander. She has a friend, Helena who is in love with Demetrius; (3) The story of the artisan men who are to present a long short play about young Pyramus and his lover Thisbe to Theseus and Hipolita; and (4) The story of the fairies Oberon and Titania and the series of blunders committed by Puck (Robin Goodfellow) in using the "love-in-idleness," i.e., the juice of the flower Pansy that is put in one's eyelid while he or she is asleep and will make one go crazy in love with the first person one sees upon waking up.

It is crazy funny how Puck commits mistakes and the rendezvous of the characters. It's good that my edition of the book has both the Shakespeare original text and its modern version. The Introduction suggests that I should read both for me to appreciate Shakespeare's poetic expressions. So, I did and found it wonderful. I still prefer the original texts though although of course, it is harder to understand.

And the theme? Obviously, it's all about love. Of course, I know that Romeo and Juliet is about two young lovers who committed suicide. I just did not know, or maybe did not have time to know, that there are many other lovers in WS plays.

My friend, who obviously studied in a better high school, says that she played a part in the dramatization of this play when she was in 4th year high. Judging from her avatar, I would think that she should have played the lead roles of Hermia or Titania for she looks pretty and, based on her reviews and comments here in Goodreads, definitely smart. Those roles are far more sophisticated compared to mine, playing the farmer Leon, but it is not too late for me to get acquainted with Shakespeare's characters, right?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Comments (showing 1-13)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 13: by Brian (new)

Brian This is not my favorite Shakespeare..try King Lear or Hamlet!

message 12: by K.D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K.D. Absolutely BRIAN: Yes, I will. Thanks!

Teresa You're right, K.D. -- it's never too late!

message 10: by K.D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K.D. Absolutely T: Thanks!

Barbara KD, who would dare to sneer at you? I'm pleased that you enjoyed this!

K.D. Absolutely B: Thanks. I am now looking forward to other WS books. I think I will pick Merchant of Venice next. I think I am not yet ready for King Lear, Hamlet and Othello! :)

Teresa K.D. wrote: "B: Thanks. I am now looking forward to other WS books. I think I will pick Merchant of Venice next. I think I am not yet ready for King Lear, Hamlet and Othello! :)"

I think "Merchant" is a very good choice to read next, K.D. I remember really enjoying it when we studied it in high school.

Rorreta Lampica Then, I highly recommend you The Merchant of Venice :)

K.D. Absolutely RORRETA and T: Thanks! I will read it next.

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly why is Ma. Guerrero an "only" compared to Shakespeare?

Regine Glad that you liked this one :) Good review!

K.D. Absolutely J: Because only fewer people know the former while WS is widely known.

REGINE: Thanks!

The MoCo Girl Yeah, but why four stars?