Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)'s Reviews > Lothaire

Lothaire by Kresley Cole

Posted on Under the Covers

Lothaire the Enemy of Old possess an insatiable need for revenge against the Horde. After being cast out along with his Dacian mother by his father and King of the Horde vampires, Stefanovich, Lothaire vows to his mother that he will slay his father and become king one day. His plans include uniting the Dacian and Horde kingdoms together. This is his endgame, his raison d’etre.

That is until Elizabeth Pierce stumbles upon his life. Ellie, as she is most often called in this book could not be more different than Lothaire. He, dark, cunning and lethal. She, a spit-fire, loyal and loving. Though Ellie is a mere mortal, her body is inhabited by a death goddess named Saroya. Once powerful, Saroya is now condemned to live within mortal bodies. She lives to draw blood and deal death, which is why whenever Saroya surfaces and takes control of her body, Ellie wakes up to find herself in a bloodbath.

When Lothaire meets Saroya/Ellie, he becomes blooded. His heart begins to beat after centuries of remaining still. His lungs fill with breath once again. And ... other things begin to stir to life. Naturally, Lothaire, the maddened and most feared vampire in the Lore believes that Saroya is his Bride, not the hillbilly mountain girl. But in order for him to claim his Bride, Lothaire must dispose of Ellie’s soul from the body and make Saroya immortal, a vampire like him.

To do this, he must obtain a ring. This ring holds his one chance to keep his Bride, except locating it is his greatest problem.

In the meantime, Lothaire saves Ellie from jail where she is being held and almost killed. Saving her from death row doesn’t get any points for him because Ellie actually wants to die. To die would mean there would be no more innocent deaths on her head, and Ellie wants nothing more than peace.

Together, Ellie and Lothaire combust. One who is used to getting his way all the time, Lothaire isn’t used to the way Ellie refuses him. There were times when I wanted to slap him for hurting Ellie, but as you read this book, you learn that Lothaire never had any relationships before this. He has no friends, just a ledger with names scrawled on the pages that record the debts that must be paid to him. His madness is his only company, forever torturing him, allowing him no reprieve.

Cole stays true to Lothaire’s character. She doesn’t suddenly make him a “good guy” now that he is the hero of his own book. Called the Enemy of Old, Lothaire has created that name for himself. He remains ruthless and cunning, sometimes to the point where his actions are unforgiveable.

Though a mere mortal, Ellie sinks his claws into Lothaire. It was enjoyable to read his emotions – confusion, anger, distrust. No one else throws Lothaire for a loop like Ellie does. Lothaire reacts to Ellie in a way no like other. It is only then that the question of Saroya being his true Bride arises:

“Are you certain she’s not your Bride?”
“Careful, Hag,” he warned her, seething that she would even consider Elizabeth for him. “Your past employers might have forgiven your impudence; I will not.”
“I never predicted your female would be Saroya.”
“In so many words, you did. ‘A great and fearless queen beloved by vampires, who will secure your throne for you,’” he said. “Ellie Ann, late of Appalachia, just isn’t going to inspire Hordely, vampirely love.”

Though their times together may not be all hearts and goo-goo eyes, apart, Ellie and Lothaire wither. It is this conversation with Nix, everyone’s favourite cray cray soothsayer that became one of my favourite parts of this book:

He scrubbed a hand over his face. “I didn’t feel old when I was with Elizabeth. I felt like a young vampire, just starting out with her. The world was ours for the taking.”
“I envy you that feeling.”
After several heartbeats, he admitted in a low voice, “I’d go back to the grave if it would force Elizabeth to love me.”

What I loved about this book is that Lothaire and Ellie choose to make their relationship work. Fate may play a big part in choosing a Bride, but Ellie has the ultimate say in all things. I loved watching Lothaire be brought to his knees by the woman he loves.

LOTHAIRE - just as the self-titled book entails - will demand your attention until you flip that last page! Just as addicting as the rest of the series, Cole is my new brand of crack. I’d do anything for that next hit!

*Review copy provided by publisher

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lothaire.

Quotes Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Liked

Kresley Cole
Admit it, love, you like it when I'm a little bad....”
Kresley Cole, Lothaire

01/10/2012 page 18
4.0% "Baby Lothie!"
01/10/2012 page 50
11.0% "Soooo, what do we think so far about LOTHAIRE?" 23 comments
01/10/2012 page 100
21.0% "Just putting this out there. Lanthe and Thronos. Their book should be next!" 16 comments
01/11/2012 page 142
30.0% "I LOVE THISSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!" 2 comments
01/12/2012 page 336
72.0% "HOT SEX!!!" 32 comments
07/14/2016 marked as: read

Zeek I wasnt sold on Nix for L so no biggie for me... I cant wait for Nix's book! :P

Zeek besides, I thot someone say Nix's story is last??

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Yup. Ive heard that as well. I didn't think Nix and Loth would be a couple anyways. I like this better.

message 4: by Gab (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gab Yep, Nix is up for Goodess status soon so she's a little to above Loth. I have to admit I have been liking Loth up til now even if he is a bit evil.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I really love Loth! He's great!

Sheera He can't have a mortal love ... something will happen to make her immortal - if she is mortal! And I love Nuckin Futs Nix; I cannot WAIT until she's the center of someone's attention and not all plotting the ascensaion (since she is the one constant in ALL of the stories that'll be an awesome story!)

Vivian Kresley did a good job at fooling people into thinking Lothaire would end up with Nix. But I think Nix will get her story at the end of the series. Who she gets with,I have no clue. But I (LOVE) Nix. She always makes me laugh. But I don't believe that Kresley will off Lothaire at the end of the series. Lothaire might be the bad guy but some how he is playing on the good side.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I think she fooled us pretty well. And I dont think so either. He's actually a fave of mine, so I would be devastated.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) No idea, Naru. I wish I knew :D

message 10: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary what if Nix's hero is Kristoff?

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Hmmm, maybe? I dont know. Or maybe it's also someone we dont know yet?

Aly is so frigging bored I think Kristoff is with Furie ;;)

Annie did you read the excerpt from KC's facebook page?

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Oh yeah yeah. I think Aly is right, Mary. I remember that from somewhere.

And I haven't read it. Did you? I'm scared that if I read it, I'll be pining for it.

Aly is so frigging bored Yes you will. It's killing me! I wanna read his story NOW!

Aly is so frigging bored We are such fan-girls :P

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) this is true. I can't help it. It's so good!

Aly is so frigging bored Annie *Leather Lust* wrote: "this is true. I can't help it. It's so good!"
Exactly! So many people don't understand the genius of KC :X

Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog) *screaaammmming* ahhhhhhhhhh I can't wait!

Superbunny very curious about nix, can't wait to read her book. i think she should be paired up with one of the xmen :D

Aly is so frigging bored Bogwurst I think any one of them will be overwhelmed :D She would look cool with a god whit his own dimension and stuff :D

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Whoa, i missed this!

I love Nix. I think she's amazing!

Jessica B I loved your review Annie! It gave me goosebumps! I loved this one too!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Thank you Jessica! Lothaire was great! Makes me wanna reread now.

Auntee Excellent review--you hit all the high notes!

message 27: by The (new) - rated it 5 stars

The Great review! I loved the quieter moments between him and Nix in this book too. They aren't expected.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Thanks Linds! Those parts were great!