Cindi's Reviews > The Shifters

The Shifters by Alexandra Sokoloff

1940550
Mar 02, 12

Read in March, 2012

I loved the first book in this series, The Keepers by Heather Graham, and this one was no slouch either. I usually enjoy anything placed in New Orleans or the surrounding bayous :)

I am amazed how the writing styles feel so similar among the 3 authors of The Keeper series, when their "other" books do not.

In case you haven't read this series, there are 3 sisters in NOLA who are simiply human but are the facilitators among the Other species (vampire, shifter and were). Tradition has had them keep their love lives separate from the species they are assigned to help and council - and keep below the radar of the city - but in Book 1, eldest sister Fiona fell hard for sexy police detective Jagger. Middle sister Caitlin feels more strongly now than ever that a Keeper cannot mix like that with her group; in addition, Caitlin knows that shifters are notorious for their talents, both mundane and psychic, and notorious for their, well, shiftiness. Drugs and addictions are the norm and a shifter rarely stays with one person - they always move on. Shifts are done on the astral and that wears greatly on their bodies so their lives often burn hot then burn out quickly. Not a good chance for true love.

When shifter bounty hunter Ryder hits NOLA chasing demonic entities that ride the winds on their way to inhabiting a live body, he meets Cait and convinces her to help him track down and destroy the lead "walk-in". She is as attracted to Ryder as he is to her but Cait knows he'll be off just as soon as he solves his case and she wants none of that. Its seems like Cait forgets her principles - that she should never join with a shifter due to her position as Keeper - and only pushes Ryder away because she doesn't want to be left behind. This romance should not be.

There is great tension in this book among so many characters and species. I felt the plot moved along at a good pace and loved all the various personalities Ms. Sokoloff created. I could see wonderful spin-offs from these 3 authors after the next and final Keepers book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shifters.