Holly's Reviews > The Plot Against America

The Plot Against America by Philip Roth

Jun 11, 07

bookshelves: all-time-favorites, bookclub

The Plot Against America is an "alternate" history of mid-20th century America. Roth begins with the premise that Charles Lindbergh, a known, or at least suspected anti-semite (and there is historical proof for this), receives the Republican nomination for the presidency in 1940 and goes on to defeat FDR on an anti-war platform. Lindbergh's victory sends Jewish-Americans, and in particular the Roth family of Newark, New Jersey, into crisis. Eight-year-old Philip Roth narrates his family's attempts to deal with a growing anti-semitic climate. TPAA speaks volumes about today's political environment, whether Roth intended that or not, but it also speaks to the experience of the "other" in American society. In short, it is brilliant, and one of my favorite books of the last few years.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Plot Against America.

message 1: by Suzanne (last edited Jun 01, 2007 12:19PM) (new)

Suzanne I haven't read this, mostly becuase I didn't like Portnoy's Complaint (which I know makes me some sort of outcast). AND I thought Goodbye Columbus was just okay...will you still be my friend?

Holly I didn't like Portnoy's Complaint either, in fact I hated it. I couldn't even finish it I hated it that much--so sexist, so self-indulgent, and so stereotypically male. I was not going to read this, but Sarah told me she loved it, and the plot sounded interesting, so I thought I'd try it when I saw it on the shelf at the library, and I LOVED it! In my top ten of all time. The things I hated about Portnoy are absent. You should read it. I'll even loan you my copy, if you would like . . .

We can bond over dislike of Portnoy!

message 3: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne I am not kidding--Kenny Schultz (remember him?) thought that I was vapid all because I don't get the whole Roth-thing.

Holly A very male-centric judgment.