Ken's Reviews > The Belgariad, Vol. 1: Pawn of Prophecy / Queen of Sorcery / Magician's Gambit

The Belgariad, Vol. 1 by David Eddings

Jun 01, 11

Read from March 14 to 25, 2011

This is my review for both David Eddings series Belgariad and The Malloreon I know it is a little long but bear with me please. As a warning there will be spoilers.

The Belgariad and The Malloreon series has truly struck a cord whith me in a way that no series has been able to do since The Sword of Truth series and before that The Harry Potter series. Both of the authors of those series had a special power to take what they had written and bring it alive withing the pages. This is what David Eddings has done for me in his books. I know that early in my reading of this series I compared it to The Lord of the Rings series but after finishing it I have come to a new conculusion while some of it is in fact similer and I am sure that David Eddings like all other authors was influenced slightly by Tolkien's work but Eddings is vastly difforent where Tolkien spent most of his time developing his world Eddings dedicated his stories to developing his characters and he sure did. The characters in his novels are much more human much more relatable than some of Tolkein's seemingly invulnerable characters they have truly human flaws weaknesses and fears the characters in LOTR tend to not have much in the way of thoes normal realatable human characteristics. This is one of the main things that drew me to his story. David Eddings also manages to have many very strong very prominent female characters throughout his series this was one of the things that LOTR lacked more than any other it simply has almost no female characters and while this may work for some types of fiction it doesn't for fantasy. For what is fantasy with out some romance and love? Just a silly children's fairy tale. ( I must make it perfectly clear that I am not calling LOTR one such story the work that Tolkien put into is simply astonishing but it is lacking in some major areas. But it's okay because it worked for him and I did enjoy the books. ) I found I liked David Eddings work more than Tolkien's also because its just a fantastic story in and of itself while some parts may drag a bit and some werent givin as much time a we thought they deserved but this is true of all works of righting the author does there best to satasfy all of their readers and David Eddings lives up to that satisfaction. I will not be stoping after these two series I fully intend to read every book that David Eddings and his wife have written and I am sure that I will be much happier for it. I strongly recomend David Eddings work to all lovers of fantasy this series of his was able to keep me going for almost two weeks and I am sure that you all will be able to get at least some enjoyment out of them as well.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Belgariad, Vol. 1.