Kerri's Reviews > Luka and the Fire of Life

Mar 15, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, fairy-tales-and-myth
Read in March, 2011

Twenty to fifty pages into this book, I was in love with it. By the end, I was so over it. What started out as charming and clever just gott a little ]too charming, too clever and too referential. It began to feel like a brainstorming session — by a very sharp, witty and creative brainstormer, sure — but, man, you have to reign it in at some point. As a lover of myth and fairy tales I should have loved it — the story arc is perfect, so smooth and symmetrical with all the proper elements of a hero's journey. But when the puns got going and the silly descriptions got rolling (snowballing, really), all the characters in my mind were being drawn to look like Disney characters. And I can't stand Disney. Randy Newman could easily whip up a few accompaniments that would fit right in and win him a Grammy too.

I love, love love the bones of this book. They strike me, but its power was lost in nonstop flood of clever cutesie-ness. Too bad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Luka and the Fire of Life.