Tony's Reviews > Day of the Oprichnik

Day of the Oprichnik by Vladimir Sorokin

Mar 14, 2011

bookshelves: read-2012
Read from July 27 to August 04, 2012

This book has been compared to Fahrenheit 451, but the connection between the two books is simple. They are both dystopian visions of a country's future, and books get burned in both books. Stylistically, the similarities stem from the first person narration, but beyond that (and a few other tiny things), these books belong in separate categories. Bradbury's book was concerned with the idiotization (I know: not really a word) of American culture, mostly. Sorokin's satire sends up autocracy, nationalism, and corruption in Russian culture. I suspect that this book might have really hit home with me if I were Russian. But, being an American, I can still appreciate the satirical aspects of the book. Even knowing little about what Russian life and culture is really like, this book still resonated for me. It's not a great novel: the plot is weak and few of the characters are really well-drawn, but I enjoyed it as a warped window on modern Russia. For whatever that's worth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Day of the Oprichnik.