Sandy's Reviews > Dairy Queen

Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock

Mar 14, 2011

bookshelves: can-t-stop-thinking-about, favorite-character, i-own, premise-i-love, settings-i-love
Read in May, 2012

I loved this book so much I read it in one sitting in the bathtub of all places. And trust me, I live in student housing in desperate need of renovation so that is by no means a cozy bathtub, but I was so engrossed in this story that I kept reading long after the water got cold.

I admit, I grew up on a farm driving tractors ever since I was a little kid (so young that I look at my kids and think Were my parents really crazy enough to let me operate machinery when I was that age???) so I LOVED all of DJ's description of the farm. This setting was pitch perfect for me. Catherine Murdock knows about agriculture and farm living and Midwestern charm. That part about having to send a favorite cow, Joe Namath, away in her old age? I have lived this, so I felt a connection to this story and its characters that I haven't felt in a long time.

Besides that setting, I was captivated by DJ's authentic voice. As she struggles to be seen by her family and find her own balance between her work on the farm and pretty much everything else that takes a back seat to that, I felt equal parts admiration and sympathy for this hard-working girl who needs a bit of appreciation.

Of course I love a little romance in my YA books, and Dairy Queen has just a dash of romance that develops perfectly in that slow, realistic kind of way.

I've had this book sitting on my shelf unread for two years, so thanks to Colette who read it and told me I was going to love it because she knew me back during the farm girl days. She was right.

Everything that is wrong in Catching Jordan is right in Dairy Queen. THIS is what Catching Jordan should have been.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dairy Queen.

03/07/2016 marked as: read

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard This series as a whole is one of my favorites.

Sandy I have the rest of the series on hold at the library. I can't wait to find out what happens next!

Colette Yay! I'm glad you liked it. I thought you might :)

Wendy Darling Aw. :) I loved this series, too!