Jayme VA's Reviews > Radio Shangri-la: What I Learned in Bhutan, the Happiest Kingdom on Earth

Radio Shangri-la by Lisa Napoli

Mar 21, 11

bookshelves: 2011, around-the-world-in-80-books
Read from March 14 to 20, 2011

I won this book on Read it Forward.

I really enjoyed this book. A lot of people compared it to Eat Pray Love but I actually liked this quite a bit better. Lisa set out to contribute, whereas I don't think Elizabeth Gilbert really had that in mind.

This memoir is set in the tiny Kingdom of Bhutan, a place I had heard of but wasn't really sure where it was or if it was its own country. Until a few years ago, Bhutan did not have any connection to the outside world, not tv, no internet, nothing.

Lisa travels to Bhutan to mentor at Bhutan's new non-government run radio station, the first of its kind in the country. She encounters Bhutanese who are just being exposed to the outside world through tv and internet and comments on the impact it seems to be having on Bhutan and its people. In just the short time she is there, the impact the outside world is having on Bhutan becomes evident. Is it really for the better? In a world where technological changes happen relatively slowly, all new innovations are being introduced to Bhutan at once, making it a fascinating cultural study.

Read this book and learn about a bit of the world that you probably didn't know was out there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Radio Shangri-la.