Annie's Reviews > Lilies in Moonlight

Lilies in Moonlight by Allison Pittman

May 31, 2011

bookshelves: first-reads, read-in-2011
Read from May 18 to 31, 2011

What a lovely, sweet book! I enjoyed it so much! I had never read about life in the 20s so this was a new treat for me. I especially loved that it took place in South Carolina because it displayed the real southern charms of that time.
The characters are so lovable. Even though they each have the faults, you can't help but be so impressed how well Allison Pittman developed them. Cullen is a war-torn veteran who is scarred and rough to look at which has given him a tough shell but he is so caring and understanding with his mother. Even with Lily even though he hates to admit his admiration for that crazy girl. He tends to have a sarcastic tone throughout the book which adds to the humor.
Lily was a flapper whenever she fell upon the Burnside's estate. A lonely flapper with no money and heading no where fast. The Burnside family takes her in to help her back on her feet and give her some guidance. Little did either side know how attached they would get!
Betty Ruth Burnside is Cullen's mother who has dementia spells. She is a spitfire! My favorite character of all! She's out of her mind crazy but so lovable and childlike even. Everybody revolves around her to keep her sheltered and safe, mostly from herself. Betty Ruth is what keeps this crazy bunch together because if it wasn't for her I doubt any of them would have hung around longer than a day.
I don't want to say too much but towards the end of the book the family goes on a road trip to accomplish a few things. This road trip was both hilarious and tiresome. Just by reading I felt like I was right there taking the trip with them. Pittman is an amazing author and she really grabs you. I plan on reading more of her books... I just hope there are more characters like Lily and Betty Ruth!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lilies in Moonlight.

05/19/2011 page 32
05/30/2011 page 276
78.0% "I don't want to put it down!"
show 2 hidden updates…