Tammara's Reviews > Froi of the Exiles

Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta

Mar 24, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read from March 13 to 24, 2012

(Froi of the Exiles is Book Two of the Lumatere Chronicles. Book One is Finnikin of the Rock.)

The only reason it took me ten days to read this nearly 600-page book is because I'm BUSY. If I had people bringing me food and coffee, I'd have crawled into bed and fought off sleep, work, social obligations and cats who like to sprawl across whatever I am currently trying to read/write/do to immerse myself in this book.

I didn't want to like Froi. Not after Finnikin, no matter his change-of-heart and possible transformation. His temper and selfishness were only matched by his obstinance. And when I began reading, I didn't want to like Quintana, either - insane, furious, split and shredded little person that she was. But Marchetta, per usual, whipped up a big batch of The Past and fed it to the reader bit by bit, and the full picture of these two abandoned souls came into view.

Again, the world-building blew me away. What Marchetta began in Finnikin, she continued here, and then some. Even beyond that, though, are the characters and how their lives intersect and weave together. She's said that this book explores the debate of nature vs nurture, and that it does. Froi, as comfortable as he is - for the first time in his life - in Lumatere, doesn't realize that he's not where he belongs until he's sent to the place he does. He feels it in his blood, and he fights it because he has a job to do - an assassination, and he starts off with a bond - a sworn promise to Finnikin and Isaboe - to carry it out.

There is no great romance without two people who have needs that only the other can fill, but Froi and Quintana - each abandoned, discarded, told they are trash and treated as such, are the unlikeliest pair imaginable. They are both too intent on their given missions - duties that entire kingdoms depend upon each of them to accomplish - to tend to their own needs. They are both too broken to heal themselves, let alone begin to heal another. But that's just the thing - sometimes personal salvation can only be found in the act of redeeming another.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Froi of the Exiles.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Beth Whiteman Me, too. Totally forgot I preordered it until it popped up on my Kindle. Hurray for surprise books!

message 2: by Tammara (new) - added it

Tammara I <3 preorders! Now if I can just carve a little niche of time from my schedule to actually READ...