colleen the fabulous fabulaphile's Reviews > Flora Segunda

Jul 20, 11

bookshelves: action-adventure, fantasy, middle-grade
Read from July 16 to 19, 2011

3.5

A fun and charming story with a young girl protagonist (13, going 14) who is a strong and likable character. She suffers from the plague that such characters tend to have - generally neglectful but loving parents - but the parents in this one are at least present to an extent and not entirely useless as in some other series of the same ilk.

The other characters are interesting and generally likable, and the world itself is both strange and familiar, being loosely based on 18th Century traits and mannerisms, but infused with magic and a whole host of other oddities.

My main complaint, if complaint is really the word, is that it's very much a plot-based story and while the characters are likable and sympathetic, I felt a certain distance from them. Part of it is writing, I think, and part of it is simply the type of story - I tend to prefer character-based stories.

That said, I could easily see this being transformed into a movie or series, being a very visually oriented story - and I did like it more than enough to continue with the series.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flora Segunda.

07/18/2011 page 195