Dailycheapreads's Reviews > The Softwire: Virus on Orbis 1

The Softwire by P.J. Haarsma

Mar 23, 11

Read in March, 2011

I read The Softwire because I got it free on my Kindle and wanted to see what our junior edition customers might be reading.

The Softwire was a very interesting book that I enjoyed reading. The story is about J.T. Turnbull, who was born on a spaceship with many other children, after all their parents died because of a malfunction on the ship.

They are traveling to the Rings of Orbis, the planet where their parents had promised to work. When they get to Orbis, the orphans find out not everyone is pleased they have arrived and they have to work as servants in a smelly factory.

J.T. also discovers that he is a Softwire – an unusual person who can interact with computers without plugging in, he simply has to think about it in his mind and he is inside the computer. The central computer that controls everything on Orbis begins acting up and many people think J.T. is to blame and try to capture him. When J.T. was inside the computer, he saw a virus, but can it catch it in time?

My favorite part about this book was how it made technology come alive and it showed how people, especially young people, interact with computers. I am anxious to read the other books to find out what happens on the other Rings of Orbis.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Softwire.