Rachelle's Reviews > The Aloha Quilt

The Aloha Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini

Mar 14, 2011

liked it
Read in March, 2011

I've read only the first book in this series and didn't realize that I skipped over 14 books. However I get them feeling that they are all pretty similar anyway. I enjoy some of the central themes of these "quilting novels"... that of sisterhood, love and friendship. The setting is beautiful Hawaii and it was fun to learn a bit about their unique history and culture. Bonnie, the main character, is going through a nasty divorce and the novel is kind of her healing process as she works through things and discovers her own self worth.

I didn't really connect with the "going through a divorce" part of the story as it was really so one-sided. Bonnie was the poor mistreated one and her ex was so horribly evil that it was hard for me to feel a connection or understanding of the emotions involved. His character was so one-dimensional and it made the whole thing feel so cliche.

I'm not sure if I will return to this series or not. Perhaps when I am in the mood for a little soap opera drama. I do, however, wish that I knew how to quilt now.

Overall, I thought it was a pretty fun, easy read but nothing that will change my life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Aloha Quilt.

Mary Seely There is a lot of historical information in these books. The second one starts it the ancestors who built the house and continue through the Civil War. The writer did her research and developed an interesting family for Sylvia.