Matt's Reviews > Eating the Dinosaur

Eating the Dinosaur by Chuck Klosterman

M 50x66
Mar 14, 11

Read in March, 2011

I'll pretty much read anything Klosterman writes, and this book is not going to change that opinion one bit. In fact, this one actually impressed me, even though I'm usually pretty into K's game.

Part of it is just the weirdness of these essays, this book, existing at all. I think the previous books were collections of pieces that he'd written for other jobs-- Spin, Esquire, whatever. But this one, at least as far as I can tell, eshews that to go for new content. And who has time for that?

The result, though, is that most of the essays here are longer, and more serious, than most of his previous work. The essays themselves, as the back of the book promises, are largely concerned with exploring the way media creates a reality for us. Which is fine, really. The opening essay, a reflection on interviewing, is interesting but maybe doesn't quite come together. But other essays, like one on Pepsi and Mad Men, is insightful and funny, and an essay on irony and Ralph Nader is pretty dynamite, too.

There's a lot to like here, in short. The essay on canned laughter "Ha ha," he said. Ha Ha" is something I should try to integrate into my genre studies class.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eating the Dinosaur.