Misha 's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Sep 22, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy-sci-fi-apocalyptic-myths, history, literary-fiction, award-other, orange-prize
Read from September 16 to 22, 2011

Good but not great. I enjoyed The Night Circus a lot but didn't fall madly in love with it as I expected to, and as many others have.

The Night Circus is one of the most imaginative books I have read. I loved the author's descriptions of the circus. The lush imagery she creates is beautiful; I felt myself transported into the enchanting world of the circus.

On the other hand, I feel a little disappointed that I didn't love the book as much as others have. The problem was I couldn't feel a lot for the characters. I didn't care about any of them, because I felt I hardly knew them. As for the romance, I just didn't feel anything about it either.

The four star rating is because of the author's incredible writing skills. I will be looking forward to more from her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

09/18/2011 page 67
09/20/2011 page 200
52.0% 3 comments
show 1 hidden update…

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-8 of 8) </span> <span class="smallText">(8 new)</span>

Chris I am really interested in your opinion of this book. I read a lot, but cannot keep up with you and need to be better about posting reviews.

Misha Chris wrote: "I am really interested in your opinion of this book. I read a lot, but cannot keep up with you and need to be better about posting reviews."

Hey Chris! :) I have just read a few pages but I am enjoying it quite a lot.

message 3: by Veena (new)

Veena Now this is an interesting review :) Definitely something I will keep in mind IF I think of reading it :)

Misha @Veens I will be looking forward to your thoughts when you decide to read it. It's a unique book, and there are people who have loved it far more than me.

Chris I felt that way about the characters too.

Misha Chris wrote: "I felt that way about the characters too."

I am glad that someone agrees. We seem to be in the minority.

Ashley Lauren Spot on, I agree completely.

Anne I really loved this as it draws on the intertextuality of the old-fashioned illusionism and magic of the past but reinvents this idyllic, magic world. Early on we are asked to question this and we easily let our beliefs suspend on the circus tents that keep moving. This book is almost like a secret that you don't want to share but can't wait to share with other readers. I might add that I have since read alice Hoffman museum of extraordinary things: choice is very clear - night circus!