Jim Belcher's Reviews > The Cube and the Cathedral: Europe, America, and Politics Without God

The Cube and the Cathedral by George Weigel

Mar 14, 2011

Read in March, 2011

I am using parts of this book for my current research. It is a terrific read about Europe's loss of morale and desire to defend its culture, democracy, and human rights. I try to read everything Weigel pens; he is the leading Catholic social philosopher today in my estimation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cube and the Cathedral.

message 1: by Bob (new) - added it

Bob Robinson Looks really good. Added it to my "To Read" list.

message 2: by Blake (new) - added it

Blake Schwendimann Thanks for pointing this out.

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark Carver It is good. I read it several years ago. There is also another, similar book written by a Catholic brother about how Europe never was "Christian" but just had its veneer over paganism. I'll try and find it in my pile of books, somewhere!

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex I thought Hans Kung is was the leading catholic philosopher. I tried to get through his book, it was enormous both in terms of both ideas and sheer length.

message 5: by Craig (new)

Craig Mathison Mark wrote: "It is good. I read it several years ago. There is also another, similar book written by a Catholic brother about how Europe never was "Christian" but just had its veneer over paganism. I'll try ..."
I have lived as a missionary in Europe for 25+ years and concur that the evidence generally points much more towards a Christian veneer than thorough spiritual transformation.