Wendy Darling's Reviews > Unearthly

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Mar 14, 11

bookshelves: favorite-ya, pn-angels, young-adult, read-2011, crush-worthy-boys, 2011-favorites, snowy, 2011-publication, read-2012
Read in January, 2012, read count: 3

4.5 out of 5 stars Finally, a well-written angel series! Clara's physical appearance, the wings, the flying, the "glory"--make angels sound impossibly beautiful. The descriptions are so well done that you can really picture and feel what it would like to be in the presence of one. The supernatural aspects are well-balanced by a solid grounding in Clara's day to day life as a teenager with excellent descriptions of school projects, relationships with her friends and her brother, and especially her conflicted relationship with her extraordinary mother.

The characters are well-developed and there's terrific courtship that is blessedly normal and crazy appealing. I appreciate the unusual choice to wait until much later in the book to get things really started on the dating front, as you've already gotten to know Clara pretty well by this point *and* it's in the right context of her life. Important and fulfilling for sure, but not the be-all and end-all of her life, as so often happens in YA books. Once it comes, however, it's very sweet and very convincing.

I did find the beginning of the book a little disjointed, and there were a few sections that could have used smoother transitions, but overall it's really terrific. It's easy to understand Clara's conflict and it's easy to like Clara, who has unearthly perfections but who is also just trying to find her way in life. An excellent start to a what should be an excellent series.

This review also appears in The Midnight Garden.
109 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unearthly.

Quotes Wendy Darling Liked

Cynthia Hand
“What do you see in a guy like Christian Prescott?" he asked me that night when he dropped me off from prom. And what he was really saying then, what would have come through loud and clear if I hadn't been so blind was, why don't you see me?
Cynthia Hand, Unearthly

Nicole Great review Wendy!!!

Wendy Darling Thanks so much, Nicole! I really liked this one.

Giselle They ARE beautiful - the angels!!

Wendy Darling III know! Of all the angel books out there, I think Unearthly describes the angels in the loveliest way.

Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽ i just saw that they are making a show out of this on CW. idk when though.

Wendy Darling What, really? That's so weird! I don't know what I think about that. :/

message 7: by Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽ (last edited Oct 25, 2011 12:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽ i just saw it today in this article.

im hoping if they do it right, it will be good.

Wendy Darling Thanks for the link, Sharon. Carol Mendehlson is a good producer, so yes, maybe they'll do a good job. But I think it'd be impossible to get the tone of the book right, so the best I'd hope for is something that's just entertaining and doesn't completely bastardize it!

Nicolle I've been thinking of reading this for a while...I probably will now seeing as you enjoyed it so much.

Wendy Darling Ohhhh, Nicolle! This is a MUST READ for any fans of paranormal romance. It's a slow burn of a book, but nearly everyone I know has loved it. (And yes, it's one of the few good angel series out there.)

message 11: by GiGi (new) - added it

GiGi Is this going to be a trilogy?

Sally Which novel did you like better? Unearthly or Hallowed?

message 14: by Harshini (new)

Harshini  Ramanujam 5 stars!! Must read this soon :)

Ronyell Awesome review Wendy!! I really enjoyed this book too! I can't wait to read Hallowed!

Wendy Darling Oh wow, why did I not get notifications on these comments?

I loved them both, but I actually loved Hallowed more because of the emotional punch, Sally.

And yes, must read soon, Harshini! Such a great PNR.

Yay, I'm glad you loved this, Ronyell! Look forward to seeing what you think of Hallowed. Fingers crossed you love that one just as much. :)

Ronyell Wendy Darling wrote: "Oh wow, why did I not get notifications on these comments?

And yes, must read soon, Harshini! Such a ..."

Thanks Wendy! I'm definitely check Hallowed out!

♥Rachel♥ Great review Wendy. I totally agree, it was unusual that the romance didn't start until well into the book. But it was nice to get to know Clara first and see her get to know (view spoiler) well before anything developed between them.

Not sure if I needed a spoiler tag there, but just in case someone hadn't read this, and came across this comment, I thought I'd put it up. :)

Wendy Darling Ahh. :) LOVE this book so much--but then I loved the sequel even more. How is that possible? She's a genius!

♥Rachel♥ I know! Usually the middle or second book doesn't turn out as well. They suffer the second book syndrome. I loved the second one even more, too.

♥Rachel♥ Your interview with her was amazing, btw! I read it right after finishing both of these. I left a comment to tell you. I was dying for more after finishing. She gave some very in-depth and thoughtful answers. I love that there might be a book with Clara's mom!

Jennifer I just wanted to say thank you. I read the first installment of this series based on your review. I loved it (and the second one).

Wendy Darling Wow, I am late to this party. Thanks Rachel! I'm glad you liked the interview. We have another one coming up with the author on January 25, which we're excited about.

And yay, I'm so glad to hear that, Jennifer! I'm happy you enjoyed it, and thank you for taking the time to stop by and tell me so. :)

Julie I just read this in about 12 hours. A great book. Great review.

message 25: by Katharine (new) - added it

Katharine Rees Is unearthly appropriate for a thirteen year old?

Wendy Darling Thanks, Julie, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

And absolutely, Katharine--book is aimed towards 12 and up, and there's nothing inappropriate in it from what I can remember. (Though that's subjective of course.)