Melissa's Reviews > Three Past Midnight: The Library Policeman

Three Past Midnight by Stephen King

Mar 17, 11

bookshelves: 2011, horror, audiobook, novella
Read from March 13 to 17, 2011, read count: 1

The Library Policeman is my least favourite of the Four Past Midnight collection so far. It focuses on a small-town businessman, Sam Peebles, who loses his library books and discovers there may be a steep other-worldly fine to pay.

The novella's lack of originality made it feel like an amalgam of dozens of ghost stories I've read before. It didn't particularly annoy me as I listened to it (though the spooky music which tried to make innocuous dialogue like "The library..." seem ominous was fairly ridiculous) - I just think it'll prove to be a very forgettable tale.

It made for easy listening and was an acceptable enough distraction, but everything was so heavily foreshadowed that it rarely succeeded in building tension, and the final showdown was somewhat anti-climatic. In particular, a long, graphic description of child-rape felt utterly unnecessary, and was much scarier when it was merely alluded to, rather than spelled out in vivid, emotionally manipulative detail.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Past Midnight.