Jenn Estepp's Reviews > A Discovery of Witches

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Mar 25, 11

bookshelves: supernatural-creature-feature
Read in March, 2011

2 1/2, but today is rare occasion, wherein I am rounding down, because while I really liked parts of the book, there was just entirely too much in the middle that was goopy, melodramatic, tortured-love-that-dare-not-be.

I also think that I'm a little burnt out on the "normal boy/girl suddenly discovers that they are secretly/actually something else" - in this case, a witch. Well, Diana knows that she comes from a long-line of witches and can innately sense/do a bit of magic, but with the help of her sexy vampire, discovers that she is actually, like, the most powerful witch in centuries. Hooray!

Er, that sounds too snarky. I did like it and as I mentioned in the status update, I especially liked the bits where the mythology of witches/vampires/daemons mixed with science - lots of DNA coding and genome talk. And I like the academic atmosphere that begins the book and the action that ends it and I am totally down with the sequel. But my tolerance for forbidden supernatural love is low these days, and there's so very, very much of it, so I rate accordingly.

ETA: I am retroactively rounding this down a star, after realizing that I've no desire to spend time with these characters again.
10 likes · Likeflag

03/17/2011 page 204
34.0% "I like the mix of science & mythology, but don't know if I can handle the melodrama. Par for the course with the supernatural love books, I guess."
03/18/2011 page 259
44.0% "Our heroine sure does say "yes, please" a lot. I don't know how I feel about that." 1 comment