Erin's Reviews > Thoughts of a Grasshopper: Essays and Oddities

Jan 15, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: utah, lds
Read from January 14 to 15, 2012

I am a grasshopper more than an ant. Most of my family are ants and that is why they don't understand the decisions I make. This sentence makes sense when read in the context of Aesop's fables of the grasshopper and the ant.

I just finished this book and am conflicted about how to rate it. I really liked the first chapter and the chapter on journal writing. I like her advice to not try and play catch-up on writing, but just to write for five minutes a day or less and just write ideas.

I did think it was great that she finished her degree at 37 and then went to grad school.

However, I found the rest of the chapters pretty trivial and not as interesting. When I finished reading, I thought to myself that she must have left off the important stories. It almost seemed incomplete.

A friend just reminded me that this is a collection of talks that she gave. Perhaps the audiobook version would be better than just reading the different talks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thoughts of a Grasshopper.

Rachel Wagner We had an audiobook of this growing up and laughed and laughed. I wonder what I would think now?

Erin It might be better in audiobook format than just reading it since this is a collection of her talks.