Shannon (aka Readergirl)'s Reviews > Eve

Eve by Anna Carey

Oct 18, 11

bookshelves: own-arc, dystopian

I wasn't sure what to expect from this story, as I had read mixed reviews about it. I was very pleasantly surprised though, as I didn't have any problems at all sinking into this story.

Eve has been brought up to believe that graduation will bring a new life for her, where she will be placed in a position to learn a valuable trade which she will then use out in the world. When she learns from a fellow student the terrible secret behind the "trade school," I was so happy by her reaction. I expected her to do what I've seen a lot of other YA heroines do, deny it up and down forever, despite the evidence, until finally the evidence has to hit her smack between the eyes and then she finally believes. Eve wasn't like that though. Although she didn't want to believe it, and denied it verbally to the friend, she immediately sets out to prove or disprove what she's been told. She finds out immediately, and then even more quickly takes action. She didn't waste valuable time moping around and still "trying to deny it" to herself. I found this very refreshing. It also gets the action off to an immediate start, which I also found refreshing. The story, therefore, had a really good pace that kept my interest.

Caleb was great. I really loved this character. He was a gentleman in a world where there's no such thing as gentlemen anymore. He is very sensitive to Eve and where she's come from, and the things she's experienced. He understands the fate that was lying in store for her. Their romance was really intriguing because they live in a world where boys and girls have been kept separated, and so the romance grew with a sweet innocence that I found really endearing.

I have to admit that a big part of the book that I found to be my favorite was the growing relationship between Eve and her "friend." I don't want to reveal who it is, but anyone reading the book will figure it out fairly easily. This was an unlikely friendship, and it was great to see it grow. I kept expecting this friend to turn into a stereotypical dystopian friend like so many I've read in the past... you know the kind. The kind that appears to have made friends, but really they're either out to sabotage the heroine, or else they get jealous, upset, or angry, and at some point sell out the heroine to the bad guys. Not so here.

So basically, everywhere that I could see a cliched or overly utilized plot device building, Anna Carey surprised me every time and went a completely different way with it. It made the story very appealing and exciting and kept me very interested. I will definitely be looking for the sequel to this story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eve.