Brittany's Reviews > Children of the Sea, Volume 1

Children of the Sea, Volume 1 by Daisuke Igarashi

Mar 14, 11

Read on March 13, 2011

This manga intrigued me a couple of times on various shelves at various bookstores until I went to the library, found that they had it, and checked it out. The artwork is just stunning. A beautiful mix of sketchy and refined. Every drawing is done with care. With many manga...when a panel is not as important an artist will put less care into it - fewer lines, less definition, but with this manga Daisuke Igarashi puts his all into every panel. The artwork alone is worth reading this manga, but the story doesn't disappoint either.

I did love the watercolor panels, but my particular favorite panel was of Ruka's feet in the sand as the sea washes over them, and I could feel the sea pulling the sand from under my feet in the drawing. It was captured just right.

As for the characters, I particularly enjoyed Umi's character, and wasn't as big a fan of Sora...although I have to cut him some slack since he had a lot of internal trials going on.

Granted, this is volume 1 of 4, I thought that they story so far was very interesting. It's like a vague mystery and yet a day to day account of a unique sea-coast Japanese life. Something about this and the recent Tsunamis really hit home.

This is a great manga for both genders. It's interesting and beautifully drawn. It's a great introduction to more adult manga that might not appeal to a 12 year old, but would appeal to a 15 or 20 year old. I have to say I find very little manga that I would give five stars, but this is one of them. Highly recommended.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Children of the Sea, Volume 1.