Emma's Reviews > Helmet for My Pillow

Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie

Mar 19, 11

Read from March 13 to 18, 2011

After watching "The Pacific", I became very interested in the Pacific war and researched the memoirs that were written about it. Robert Leckie (played by James Dale Badge) was one of the three lead characters in the series, and he became a writer after the war. I decided to start with his book first, and I'm glad I did. Leckie gives a very human aspect to the war, showing himself and his deeds (and misdeeds) for all to see, explaining how he felt and what happened with a surprising amount of good humour and quiet courage, but almost matter-of-fact as he has an enormous amount of respect for the marines and their accomplishments and so makes out that he did no worse or better than everybody else.
The last chapters are so touching as he recalls those lost, and his sincerity comes through completely.
Leckie seemed to me to show the life of war, not just the death and sacrifice, and want to share the light moments as well as the dark.
I do not wish to spoil the book for others, so I will leave it there, but I shall also be reading E. B. Sledge's book "With the Old Breed".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Helmet for My Pillow.

03/13/2011 page 30