Laurel Rogers's Reviews > Shōgun

Shōgun by James Clavell

Mar 13, 2011

bookshelves: very-favorites
Read from March 13, 2011 to July 15, 2012

I've just begun taking on Clavell! It's quite the beefy title, I'm looking forward to it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shōgun.

Fiona this has got to be one of my favourite books of alll time. :D

Laurel Rogers Really? That gives me even more enthusiasm to get through all 1125 (?) pages!

Fiona Really. I just adored it and those 1125 got used up pretty quick. :( It never stops and the moment you think you know what's going to happen there's a twist and a turn.

I wish I could read it again for the first time.

Laurel Rogers Sounds amazing, Fiona.
Thanks for the review!

Laurel Rogers It's the 16th of April and I'm around 1/2 way through. Loving Shogun-savoring every word.
Oh, and the slow-going probably has something to do with my new grandson whom I babysit nearly every day!

Laurel Rogers I'm almost finished with Shogun! Wonderful story...

message 7: by Thom (new)

Thom Swennes I read Shógun about twenty years ago. I really got into the story but suddenly had to stop. I felt a sudden and very emotional sorrow and had to wait a couple of months before I could take up the story again. At the time I mourned at the emotion devastation the book wrought on my soul but today, after more than a score of years, I mark it as a truly great novel. To tell the truth I haven’t really reflected on the book or its effect on me until I read that you were currently reading it. You just might serve as an inspiration to me to pick it up again and have a re-read.

message 8: by Laurel (last edited Apr 06, 2012 11:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laurel Rogers Oh Thom, do!
It's a marvelous re-read! Anjin-san and Mariko still stir my heart, as does the cultural beauty of Japan.
L