Robin's Reviews > Bumped

Bumped by Megan McCafferty

Mar 13, 2011

Read in March, 2011

In the near future, a virus has infected most of the population, rendering them infertile after the age of eighteen, thus making teen girls a hot commodity, or their bodies’ a hot commodity.

Don’t go into this one expecting a dark, dystopic tale of intrigue, murder, deceit, and control. While Bumped does contain these themes, and then some, they are so subtle and almost lay in wait for an explosion in the following books.

It took me a few chapters to get the lingo and technology. But after I did, I wanted to know more about these characters and their lives. Dual narration can sometimes go awry, but McCafferty has created two unique and distinct voices in Harmony and Melody, twins separated at birth and raised on opposite sides of the sex continuum.

Initially, the sisters both accept the standard quo, but together, they strengthen the other to create a heart-pounding cliff hanger.

I enjoyed this book. Don’t agree with the pitch “The Handmaid’s Tale meets Heathers”, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bumped.