Girls Gone Reading's Reviews > Spousonomics: Using Economics to Master Love, Marriage, and Dirty Dishes

Spousonomics by Paula Szuchman

Mar 13, 11

True, Spousonomics is about economics, and it is about improving the problems in your marriage. Two topics that are usually so serious that they aren’t funny. But, Spousonomics is funny, and it helped me ask some questions I probably should have asked a decade ago.

Spousonomics uses economic principles to deal with typical marriage problems, and truthfully I was expecting something more like Freakonomics for marriages. Instead, Spousonomics uses economic ideas to tackle your daily issues: dishes, sex, in-laws. Don’t pick this book up if you are dealing with infidelity, the loss of the child, bankruptcy, or major illness. Spousonomics doesn’t set out to solve the HUGE problems that disrupt our lives. Instead, it works on the day-to-day issues that make marriage less fun than it used to be.

For me, Spousonomics was not that helpful, but I think that might just be me. Luckily, I have a good marriage, but Spousonomics did force me to answer some questions I hadn’t even thought of before. My husband had a talk about which household duties we hate, which ones we love. I had never even thought to ask him this before, and I was really glad that I did.

Spousonomics also made me realize that my guilt about being a working mother with a stay-at-home husband is pointless. My husband does the full-time parent job better than I would. I should think about the cost-benefit analysis. In this model, we are both happier and more fulfilled. By using economics to eradicate my guilt made me feel better. And what could be better than a happily married couple?!?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spousonomics.