Girls Gone Reading's Reviews > The Weird Sisters

The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown

Mar 13, 11

I read that Eleanor Brown simply wanted to write a book about families. She claimed that this caused her to incorporate Shakespeare and use the plural narrator. When I read her post on The Debutante Ball, Eleanor Brown claimed that her writing comes “haphazardly”. I, for one, don’t buy it-or if that is true I want some of it!

Because the truth is, The Weird Sisters is one of the most unique and most real books I have read lately. Unique and real don’t usually go hand-in-hand, but Brown managed it brilliantly. Each of the sisters was just like someone you know, and each one was still completely her own.

Brown, in The Weird Sisters, invites you into the world of Shakespeare, but it is tangible, accessible in a way your high school English class wasn’t. Shakespearean language flows out of this book. It lives like the Bard and Brown intended-taking language to a place few writers can.

I loved the writing, the characters, and the story of this book. So the only thing left to do is put down what you are reading now and go grab The Weird Sisters. Come on! Even Shakespeare wants you to!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Weird Sisters.