Tricia's Reviews > The Lost Heart Of Asia

The Lost Heart Of Asia by Colin Thubron

Mar 30, 11

bookshelves: abandoned, 11-03-march, book-club
Recommended to Tricia by: book club
Read from March 11 to 18, 2011

I really couldn't get into this book, but I tried to plough through since it was a book club selection. Timing defeated me, and I had to return the book to the library, but I figured I can always pick it up again hopefully before the meeting, otherwise after, when everyone at book club tells me that the second half makes it all worthwhile.

Surprisingly, I had read the most pages in the book! Some got bogged down as early as page 35. My biggest complaints were that the author was quite smug throughout, and really put down the people he was meeting and describing. It was very disjointed and there were no transitions between big description/colourful character portrayal/moving to the next location. It felt like a large canvas of connect the dots, before someone attempts to fill in the page.

The language was very flowery and overly full of itself with big words that no one knows the meaning of. One of the book club members pointed out that every taxi driver had inscrutable eyes in a harsh face. Not recommended x 6 of us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Heart Of Asia.

03/13/2011 page 169
44.0% "Read chapters 1-6"