NarcissusTea's Reviews > Leviathan

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

Mar 13, 2011

bookshelves: alternate, history, fantasy, fiction, illustrated, steampunk, young, adult

"I picked this up after seeing the author speak about it when he was on tour with Holly Black and Cassandra Clare. He said it was partly inspired by the death of his own mother - an event which left him feeling as though the world was broken. What would happen then for a child whose parents death actually broke the world? This is the premise for Leviathan, in which Alex, the son of the Artchduke Ferdinand, suddenly finds himself fleeing for his life after the assassination of his parents (the event which triggered the first world war). Hearing his story brought me to tears, and I knew then that the author must indeed be talented, so I requested the book from the library the next day.[return][return]I loved it. It was excellently paced, with believable characters in incredible situations. I love alternate history and have a soft spot for steampunk, and I also love illustrated books. It covered all my bases, and added lots of adventure and intrigue to boot. Heck, I even love nautical books, and this had a nautical feel (a la True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi).[return][return]Very much looking forward to the next book!"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leviathan.